Friday, January 22, 2010

Day 4: Lovey bunny

I've been working on introducing a lovey, as the No-Cry Sleep Solution instructs. I chose the bunny at right because Mari sucks on everything she touches, and I thought organic cotton would be better than some synthetic teddy. It's similar to the Snoedel NCSS author Elizabeth Pantley said she used with her youngest. Also, with a light T-shirt-like feel, I figured it would be easy to stuff it in my shirt for a few hours and give it my scent. (I wore it most of the day the day before we started the sleep plan and went around with the little bunny head sticking out from between my boobs. These are the things a mother does.)

I wasn't sure if Mari would take to it, since she hadn't adopted anything on her own as a comfort object, but she now seems to be enjoying sucking on Bunny before she falls asleep at naptimes and at night. All well and good, I thought.

Then Jon found her yesterday with Bunny stuffed right up against her face. It made us wonder if she might be able to suffocate on that thing. Of course, many babies cuddle with their blankies, some of which are no doubt thicker than Bunny. Mari evidently survived her mashing-Bunny-into-face experience. But it made us wonder what a totally safe lovey would be. I don't think I'll be trying to get her to glom onto another comfort object, at least not for now, though. I'm sure if people of my generation survived sleeping on our bellies with lots of squishy blankets, not to mention being fed with formula and non-organic baby food, Mari will survive her bunny.

On a related note, Pantley says to have an extra identical lovey in case the first goes missing or gets destroyed and baby is inconsolable. A good idea, but Bunny was a gift and I don't know where to get another. Anybody know? It's made by Piccolo Bambino.

Today: A better day for napping, though three 90-minute naps may be too ambitious for Mari, who woke up from her second one after only half an hour and absolutely wouldn't go back down. So far a not-bad evening for sleeping, with a nearly three-hour stretch in between episodes of frequent waking. Maybe there's hope.

4 comments:

  1. I too am struggling with the idea of a safe lovey, but I think it would help Holly as she really likes to cuddle. There's these tiny blankets with holes etc that they sell at a baby shop near me. I'll let you know if it works out... Holly wakes up much more than I wish at night, though I'm not sure how much has been due to teething. I think I'll start logging her sleep patterns this week as the second tooth has finally made an appearance. Good luch, Karen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lovey should be rated for newborn and up -- I googled the Piccolo Bambino brand and couldn't find the exact item you have, but it looks like their things are rated for newborns. She can move it off her face if she wants. Isaac has a lovey, but he sucks on his sleeve to self-soothe for some reason. That's one part of the NCSS that didn't apply to Caleb; he's been a thumb-sucker since he was about four months old, and has tons of stuffed animals and blankies that he loves, but at that age it did not convince him to sleep at night!

    We got this for him:
    http://www.oliebollen.com/detail.aspx?ID=9953&Code=ADR003

    Tons of different animals available at a store in our town -- we've got to get one for Isaac too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary: The blankets with the holes sound good to me! I kind of tested Mari's bunny and found I could breathe easily through one or two layers, and with not much difficulty through all the layers. But I'm not a baby, so I don't know if she would find it harder. Also, I don't know about if she manages to stuff it in her face so there are multiple layers??? I'm trying to both be safety-conscious and not too freaked out. It's a fine balance. Good luck to you and Holly too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth: I love the little owl! So cute! I'm still not sure if Mari will really take to her lovey, but I've been encouraging it in the hopes it works. She does suck her thumb and/or fingers a lot during the day but seldom does it in her sleep, for whatever reason. She is sucking on her lovey now, but then, she'll suck on anything within range of her mouth -- except, these days, her bottle. Argh...

    ReplyDelete