Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day 23: Woo hoo!

Mari fell asleep on her own! For the first time ever! I did her usual bedtime routine and stayed with her for quite a long time after I put her down, but I didn't pick her up. And then I left. And she stopped making noise after 10 or so minutes. Incredible.

Also, she has been doing better on the sleep stretches, especially if I don't count the times she fusses but manages to put herself back to sleep within less than 10 minutes. If I count only the times I had to go in to put her back to sleep, the night before last she had a wonderful six-hour sleep stretch, and last night, nearly five hours. Tonight hasn't worked out quite as well, but I never expected progress to be perfectly linear.

Naps, however, are another story -- especially keeping her asleep long enough to have a decent rest. One of her naps today was only 15 minutes, and I spent nearly an hour beforehand trying to put her down. Maybe the day is approaching when she can go down to two naps a day, but I don't think it's quite here yet -- she still gets tired and cranky quickly.

I've been thinking maybe I need to change her routine, so she eats soon after she gets up instead of before she naps, so that she can go down for her naps more quickly when she's tired and so it's clearer to me if she's fussing because of hunger or because of fatigue. I'll try that tomorrow, and I'll spend a few days just trying to put her down as soon as possible when she seems tired, so I can see if her schedule needs adjusting. I'll continue to feed her just shortly before she goes to bed for the night, though.

1 comment:

  1. I hope to share this joy with you someday! So my question is - what techniques in the book did you use? like rocking her above her crib?(it's been a couple of months since I read it so it's not completely fresh). I know you kept putting her in the crib, trying to keep her calm, pick up, calm her down again until she's sleepy. This is where I need some tips. I try to put her in her crib every night, but there's no fussy - Kira's either okay or full out crying in 3 minutes flat.

    ReplyDelete